FutureWire - futurism and emerging technology

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A Blog That Wants Your Secrets

PostSecret represents a clever and original use of blogs, blending therapeutic confessionals with the allure of tattletale revelation. The blog is simply a collection of postcard-sized graphic confessions that anyone can submit for posting. Some are funny, others poignant, and still other are deeply unsettling.



A sampling of posts includes:

  • "I am grateful to the psychiatrist I saw when I was nineteen, who told me I would be fine again. He saved my life."
  • "I cried for Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Episode III... but not for the tsunami victims."
  • "I save all the staples I pull out at work. They're in a box in my desk. It weighs a pound and a half."
  • "My older sister tried to kill herself three times. Sometimes I wish she'd succeeded."
  • "I show pictures of my feet to a man online so he'll buy me stuff."
Just as interesting as the shared secrets is the care and creativity taken in preparing many of the postcards. WARNING: Contains posts that may not be office-friendly.